Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Hand Surgery
Short History of the Department :
In 1969 Professor S.Jamal,FRCS (Ed & G) AB (Plastic), started the department of Plastic reconstructive and hand Surgery at Thanjavur Medical College Hospital with 37 beds. In 1970 MCI approved for one MCh post graduate in Plastic Surgery at Thanjavur Medical College. Since 1980 one Mch post graduate in Plastic Surgery is filled at Thanjavur Medical College. In 1985 Professor S.Jamal Organized WHO Sponsored programme on lymphatic filariasis at Thanjavur Medical College.
At Present the department of Plastic Surgery is having the following faculty members.
Professor and HOD : Dr.G.Ravikumar, M.S, M.Ch., DNB(Gen),DNB (Pls),MRCSEd.,FICS,FIME.
Senior Asst.Prof : Dr.R.Manoharan, M.S, M.Ch.
Asst.Prof : Vacant
- Type of Course : Medical
- Name of the Course : MCh., Plastic Surgery
- Eligibility : M.S.,(Gen)
- Course Duration : 3 Years
- Sanctioned number of seats : 1
- Affiliated University : The Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R Medical University, Chennai
- Selection Procedure : Entrance Examination -NEET
- University Examination Details :
1.Micro-vascular Surgery-High end operating microscope available -Free flap surgery.
3.Facio-maxillary procedures with implants.
6.Endoscopic plastic surgery
7.Aesthetic plastic surgery
8.Dermatomes & Power Drill system.
10.Nanotechnology for wound management in collobration with Sastra University.
Periodic academic activities held in the department
1. Planning Day- Wednesday of every week post graduate has to present one clinical case with
plan of management
2. Academic lectures by chief and assistants an Monday & Friday
3. Lectures /Discussions for the general surgery / ENT Post graduate on Friday
4. Theory exam for M.Ch Post graduate once in 15 days.
5. Journal Club on Thursday between 1 PM to 2 PM
Research and Publications (National & International - for the past 5 years / year wise)
1. A rare case of Poland syndrome – paper presented by Dr.G.Ravikumar at APSI Conference of
Plastic Surgery at GOA.
2. Our Experience in management of Incisional Hernia – 10 years study –Paper presented by Dr.G.Ravikumar at APSI Conference at GOA
3. Revisiting the anatomy of Rectus Abdominis Muscle – Study – Paper presented at APSI
Conference at GOA
4. Early Enternal Nutrition in Burns Sepsis – Paper presented at APSI Conference at GOA by
5. Parry Romberg Syndrome – A rare case report Presented in e-journal 2013 by
6. Agricultural Hand Injuries case report Presented at TANPAPS 2013 by Dr.G.Ravikumar and
1. Role of Stem cell therapy in Chronic non healing wounds
2. Role of Immunoglobulin’s IGA and IGE, other immunological factors in filariasis
3. Role of Biochemical parameters in burns – ICMR project
CME’s Workshops / conference conducted by the department (past 5 years / year wise)
1. Conducted CME on Lymphology in 2010
2. Conducted TANPAPS 2012
No of Units in the Department : One Unit
O.P Days & Timings : Monday, Wednesday & Friday ( At 10AM – 12 PM)
I.P Unit & Admission day (Unit wise) :
Bed Strength : 37+12 = 49
Average O.P : 73
Average I.P : 49
Type of Surgeries performed ( for Surgical departments ) Enclosed
Special Clinics conducted by the departments : Hand Clinic, Filarial Clinic & Cosmetic Clinic
List of Laboratory tests performed (for Laboratory attached departments)
Chief Minster Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme
From June 2012 to June 2017 : No of Cases operated –2280
SURGERY PERFORMED LIST
Total number of Surgeries performed during the year 2012 in the department of Surgery Thanjavur Medical College