|::Departments : Supers Specilities : Vascular Surgery|
Short History of the Department :
DEPARTMENT OF VASCULAR SURGERY.ESTABLISHED -2015
The Vascular surgical specialty was initially under the umbrella of General surgery with stalwarts like Prof H.T. Veera Reddi, Prof N. Varadharajan, and Prof N. Raghuram.
Prof H.T. Veera Reddi a renowned vascular surgeon who has over 50 publications and published a book titled Basic principles of vascular surgery which deals exclusively with management of chronic nonspecific occlusive arteritis by his new concept of treatment of ischemic lower limb by arterialisation of the popliteal vein.
The Govt of Tamil Nadu established a full-fledged separate Department of Vascular surgery at TMCH with M.Ch qualified Vascular surgeons in the year 2015 with a bed strength of 20. It is tertiary referral centre for vascular surgery for the people of Southern Tamil Nadu.
Dr.S.Maruthu Thurai started Vascular services at TMCH as Asst.Professor of Vascular Surgery on 18/8/2015. HODs of General Surgery Prof.M.Elangovan and later Prof.K.Sathyabama headed the Department of Vascular Surgery as in-charge chiefs and the department was organized. Dr.M.Nedounsjiane as Asst.Professor made a significant contribution and in a span of two years the Department gained both clinical volume and academic strength which paved the way for applying for M.Ch(Vascular Surgery) P.G seats.
Prof Dr. Balakumar, Prof Dr. Ashok kumar were previous HODs of Department of Vascular Surgery. Prof Dr. K. Elancheralathan and Prof. Dr. I. Devarajan are heading of the department at present.
Prof S. Jeyakumar, the Dean of TMCH was instrumental in stating Endovascular catheterisation lab in the year 2017 - 2019. The department had the stat of art equipment to the department like C-arm and RFA for Endovenous therapy.
Biplane Cathlab inaugurated in July 2019
VERT - Endo Vascular Real Time
Live Cathlab workshop organized on 1/3/2020
First of its kind workshop organized in a Govt Hospital.
From August 2015 to till date the Department of Vascular surgery is training MS Postgraduates from Thanjavur Medical College Hospital.
Thanks to Tamil Nadu chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme a significant revenue was generated in the department which could be used for its up gradation and technological advancement.
Medical Superintendent/Vascular Surgeon: Dr. S. Maruthu Thurai M.S., M.Ch
Professor and HOD : Dr. K. Elancheralathan, M.S, M.Ch
Associate Professor :Dr. I. Devarajan M.S., M.Ch
Asst.Prof : Dr.P. Mohanraja, M.S, M.Ch
Asst.Prof / SR : Dr. M. Murali, M.S., M,Ch
- Type of Course : Medical
- Name of the Course : MCh., Vascular Surgery from 2022
Facilities available and Routine procedures done:
- Letter of Permission obtained : Ref No:NMC/PG/(SS)/T.N./ 05(10M.Ch)/2021-22/004824. Dtd:18.01.2022.
- Eligibility : M.S.,(Gen)
- Course Duration : 3 Years
- Sanctioned number of seats : 2
- Affiliated University : The Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R Medical University, Chennai
- Selection Procedure : Entrance Examination -NEET
- Bi-plane cath lab – Basic and advanced endovascular procedures
- Carotid stenting
- Central Vein Angioplasty
- Peripheral Angioplasty
- Visceral aneurysm coiling
- EVTA for Varicose vein
- Sclerotherapy for Varicose veins and Venous Malformation
- Angio embolisation for AVM
- Venous stenting for NIVL and PTS
- Hybrid OT with laminar airflow system.
- Open Aortic aneurysm repair
- Aortobifemoral bypass
- Peripheral bypass
- Vascular Trauma management
- AV Fistula
- Fistula Salvage angioplasty
- Minor and Major Amputations
Periodic academic activities held in the department
1. Planning Day- Wednesday and Saturday for plan of management
2. Academic lectures by chief and assistants an Monday & Friday for MS PGs
3. Lectures/Discussions for the general surgery Post graduate on Wednesday
4. Journal Club on Thursday between 1 PM to 2 PM
Research and Publications (National & International - for the past 5 years / year wise)
Prevalence of Sars-Cov-2 Infection among Symptomatic and AsymptomaticContacts of Individuals Infected with Covid-19 in a Tertiary Care Centre,Thanjavur.
Dr Maruthuthurai S., Dr V. Saiprabha*, Dr J.K. Jeyabharathi,
Dr Eunice Swarna Jacob, Dr Hari Prasanth
*Corresponding AuthorDr V. Saiprabha
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/12384
DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/12384
EFFECTIVENESS OF INTRAOPERATIVE PLACEMENT OF A PERINEURAL NERVE CATHETER IN PATIENT ROAD TO RECOVERY
Maruthu Thurai S., Murali Manivannan and Mohan Raja P
POOR PROGNOSTIC DETERMINANTS FOR PATIENTS UNDERGOING SUPERFICIAL FEMORAL ARTERY ANGIOPLASTY
S. Maruthu Thurai1, P. Mohan Raja2 and M. Murali2
1. Associate Professor, Department of Vascular Surgery, Thanjavur Medical College, Thanjavur.
2. Assistant Professor, Department of Vascular Surgery, Thanjavur Medical College, Thanjavur.
CME’s Workshops / conference conducted by the department (past 5 years / year wise)
1. Endovascular Live workshop in 2020
No of Units in the Department : One Unit
O.P Days & Timings : Tuesday & Friday ( At 10AM – 12 PM)
Bed Strength : 35+10+5 =50
Average O.P : 65
Average I.P : 35
Type of Surgeries performed ( for Surgical departments ) Enclosed
Special Clinics conducted by the departments : Venous clinic, AVF clinic, PAOD clinic
List of Laboratory tests performed (for Laboratory attached departments)
Chief Minster Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme
From June 2015 to June 2021 : No of Cases operated -3150